Saturday, August 01, 2009

Technology trend

I noticed an interesting technology trend while at AALL in DC. More people were using some type of laptop to take notes than ever before. What I noticed the most often:
  • Netbooks (usually Acer brand)
  • Macbooks
  • Mid-sized Toshibas
  • iPhones
I saw some other types when people were sitting at tables (Sony, Dell, H-P), which leads me to believe think that people who had larger laptops were using them to connect back to the office, but those with lighter laptops were taking notes. I was intrigued seeing people using iPhones to take notes. I love my iPhone, but can't type fast enough on it to take notes.

Some tentative conclusions:
  • Battery life for smaller laptops and netbooks is getting better, so you can use for multiple sessions.
  • Netbooks are small enough and light enough to toss in a bag, and to balance on your lap.
  • People were bringing their personal laptops/netbooks, not their work machines.
  • Any type of laptop helps keep the lap warm during long sessions in cold convention center rooms.
I had my MacBook Pro with me, and when I had the light turned down and the wireless off, I could usually get at least four hours before it started getting into the danger zone. (Hearing Kenny Loggins in my head.) People using the netbooks could go all day without recharging.

Anyone else have any experience in taking notes directly on a laptop during conferences? I found it was much faster than longhand, and I could read it afterward.

Discuss amongst yourselves now.

1 comment:

Riva said...

Note taking with my Netbook really worked well. I touch type so was able to keep my eye on the presenter and still take notes - something I can't do with a pen and expect to read what I've written! I have a 6 cell battery in my netbook so was one of those who could go all day without recharging - even if I did connect with the office during breaks. I'm pleased with how well the experiment worked, and will be using my netbook in more notetaking situations.