On January 1, 2015, the Open Access Policy of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be effective for all new agreements. A two-year embargo will be in effect until January 1, 2017. This applies to Foundation funded research.
The five points of this agreement include the following:
- Publications are discoverable and accessible online.
- Publication will be on "Open Access: Terms.
- Foundation will pay necessary fees.
- Publications will be accessible and open immediately.
- Data underlying published research results will be accessible and open immediately.
This is transformative, and should affect many information models.